- Best Mosquito Repellent Reviews
- 1. Sawyer Premium Permethrin – Best Mosquito Repellent Spray
- 2. Sawyer Premium 20% Picaridin – Best Mosquito Repellent Lotion
- 3. REPEL Lemon Eucalyptus – Best Natural Mosquito Repellent
- 4. REPEL 100 Insect Repellent – Best DEET Mosquito Repellent
- 5. Avon Skin So Soft Bug Guard – Best Mosquito Repellent for Kids
- 6. Thermacell MR150 – Best Outdoor Mosquito Repellent
- 7. Natrapel – Best Mosquito Repellent Wipes
- 8. Thermacell Patio Shield – Best Mosquito Repellent for Yard
- 9. Cliganic Bands – Best Mosquito Repellent Bracelet
- 10. Cutter Citro Guard Triple Wick – Best Mosquito Repellent Candle
- Best Mosquito Repellent Comparison
- What is the Best Mosquito Repellent?
- How to Repel Mosquitoes?
- Repellents Best Practices
- Bottom Line
Mosquitoes can be very annoying, especially when they whine in your ear and bite your babies, your family, and of course yourself. They may also carry diseases. Which is why getting the sufficient protection from these flies is a prudent practice. One of the best ways to get protection from mosquitoes is by using a mosquito repellent. You should purchase the most effective and best mosquito repellent to guard yourself and your loved ones. A mosquito repellent is a substance that is typically applied to the skin, clothing or any surfaces to discourages mosquitoes from settling in those areas. Also look for the best mosquito repellent for yard to keep your home free of mosquitoes and making your house uninhabitable for insects. They are very effective and safe when used correctly. Read our mosquito repellent reviews to learn different ways about repelling mosquitoes.
Best Mosquito Repellent Reviews
- SAWYER PREMIUM PERMETHRIN
- Type: Spray
- Usage: Clothing
- Duration: Up to 42 days
- Ingredients: Permethrin
- Price: $
- SAWYER PREMIUM 20% PICARIDIN
- Type: Lotion
- Usage: Skin
- Duration: Up to 14 hours
- Ingredients: Picaridin
- Price: $
- REPEL LEMON EUCALYPTUS
- Type: Spray
- Usage: Skin
- Duration: Up to 6 hours
- Ingredients: Lemon Eucalyptus
- Price: $
- REPEL 100 INSECT REPELLENT
- Type: Spray
- Usage: Skin
- Duration: Up to 10 hours
- Ingredients: DEET
- Price: $
- AVON SKIN SO SOFT BUG GUARD
- Type: Sunscreen Lotion
- Usage: Skin
- Duration: Up to 2 hours
- Ingredients: IR3535
- Price: $
1. Sawyer Premium Permethrin – Best Mosquito Repellent Spray
Unlike topical insect repellents applied to the skin. This Sawyer product is designed for use on clothing, tents, outdoor gear, camp furniture, and even bed sheets. Safe to use with any fabric and will not stain or damage fragile fabrics, plastics, or any of your gear.
It’s more than just an insect repellent, it’s a contact insecticide that will actually knock out mosquitoes, spiders, chiggers, mites, ticks, and more than 55 other kinds of insects.
Contains Permethrin as the active ingredient. Which is a synthetic version of the naturally occurring Pyrethrin taken from Chrysanthemum flower. Same component used in hair shampoos for head lice. While the natural version evaporates rather quickly in sunlight, however, this version will provide a long-lasting odorless protection barrier after drying.
- A single application will last up to 42 days of exposure to sun and air for gear and up to 6 weeks or 6 washings for clothing. Exposure to water and sweating do not significantly decrease the effect.
- Effective against the Yellow Fever mosquito, which can transmit the Zika virus.
- It can also be applied to dogs to help control mosquitoes, fleas, and ticks for up to 35 days. Including ticks that carry Lyme disease, Powassan, and Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever.
- Treatments on clothing are non-toxic to humans. When used on personal clothing, Permethrin tightly bonds to the fabrics eliminating the risk of over-exposure to the skin.
- Although it’s safe for dogs, wet state of Permethrin is not safe for cats. Once dried it is fine to wear your treated clothes around cats.
- Permethrin breaks down if used on the skin within fifteen minutes, it’s not useful for personal protection against mosquitoes. As a result, other insect repelling products should be used for the skin.
2. Sawyer Premium 20% Picaridin – Best Mosquito Repellent Lotion
The Sawyer insect repellent lotion contains 20% Picaridin to give sufficient protection for over 14 hours. The topical insect repellent is applied all over the skin for an effective solution against a variety of flying insects.
It is safe for use by the whole family and can be used together with sunscreen for skin protection during the day. The non-greasy lotion has a nice low citrus odor that dissipates when dry and will not cause any damage to the areas it is applied. Will not harm clothing, fishing lines, plastics, or other synthetic fabrics.
While spray repellents may evaporate faster on the skin, repellent lotions are always a great option as they always last longer on the skin as they evaporate much slower. It’s ideal for everyday use or when traveling, hiking, or camping.
- Picaridin proves a great effect on repelling mosquitoes and is safe to use on the whole family including children and pregnant women.
- Long lasting repellent that provides protection for up to 14 hours against mosquitoes and ticks, and up to 8 hours against sand flies, biting flies, gnats, and chiggers.
- Contains the active ingredient Icaridin which is also known as Picaridin is the product of choice for Malaria Prophylaxis.
- It also proves to be efficient against daytime biting mosquitoes Aedes Aegypti that carry Zika virus and nighttime biting mosquitoes Culex that can spread West Nile virus.
- Leaves a non-oily temporary sheen. Not recommended to apply on wounds or cuts as it may give an itchy feeling.
- Requires you to lather yourself with lotion, any uncovered inch of skin can still catch bites.
3. REPEL Lemon Eucalyptus – Best Natural Mosquito Repellent
A plant-based formula made with oil of Lemon Eucalyptus. Protecting you and the whole family during outdoor adventures, from your backyard to your travel destinations.
If you’re looking for a DEET-free alternative against mosquitoes, then this is a highly effective way to reduce mosquito bites. Oil of Lemon Eucalyptus is derived from the leaves of the Eucalyptus Citriodora tree, a natural ingredient that is capable of delivering protection that can last up to six hours.
Effective in repelling mosquitoes, ticks, chiggers, fleas, gnats, and biting flies. Convenient and easy application. Can be used on exposed skin and clothes directly without the risk of staining or damaging your fabrics. However, avoid direct application on the face. Instead, spray on your hand palm then spread it on your face and neck.
- Contains 30% oil of Lemon Eucalyptus to protect and provide a relief from mosquitoes and ticks by creating a barrier that remains for 6 hours.
- Highly effective against mosquitoes that carry Zika, West Nile, Dengue and Chikungunya viruses.
- It’s also safe to use on the whole family including children of age 3 and older.
- Contains a non-greasy and non-sticky formula that dries quickly.
- Has a strong smell that lingers for a long time. The scent is not bad but could be better. Some people didn’t like it while others felt it’s refreshing.
- It also contains Ethanol so it can irritate wounds and damaged skin. Also, when applied to the skin, it feels like menthol which may feel a little uncomfortable for some people.
4. REPEL 100 Insect Repellent – Best DEET Mosquito Repellent
The active ingredients of repellents can play a major role in determining which product to choose. If you are seeking maximum protection and you are friendly towards DEET based products, then REPEL 100 is your best option.
DEET was originally designed for military teams stationed in dense forests. After proving to be highly effective against disease-causing insects for over 50 years, it became a prominent household repellent due to its reliable performance.
Whether you are planning to go camping, hunting, or exploring new wild places in South America, Asia, or Africa. This repellent is designed to offer dependable coverage against bugs for your next destination to the deep jungles.
- It contains 98.11% DEET more than double some of it’s leading competitors to keep mosquitoes and all sorts of insects away.
- A powerful repelling formula that is specially designed to protect you in heavily infested conditions.
- Creates a barrier against mosquitoes that may carry Zika, West Nile, Chikungunya, and Dengue viruses.
- Provides you with a long lasting protection of up to 10 hours for prolonged periods of outdoor activity.
- While you can treat your clothes and skin with DEET, however, you should use it with caution. It will not damage cotton, wool, and nylon. However, it may damage leathers, plastics, and furniture finishes. So, be extra careful when using it.
- It has a strong smell and it leaves an oily, slimy feeling on the skin.
5. Avon Skin So Soft Bug Guard – Best Mosquito Repellent for Kids
This Avon lotion has a formula that gives protection for long hours during outdoor sunny days. A three in one combo that works not just to repel mosquitoes and other insects but also works as sunscreen protection and with special moisturizing effects.
Contains IR3535 which you can use safely for babies over 6 months, kids, and the entire family. Not only to repel and protect against mosquitoes that may carry the Zika virus or ticks that may transmit Lyme Disease but also to provide vital SPF 30 sun protection.
A natural extracts formula, fast-absorbing, water-resistant for 80 minutes and has moisturizing Vitamin E and aloe. It’s lightly scented with a cool, springtime fragrance. Apply 15 minutes before sun and insect exposure. Then reapply about every 2 hours or after 80 minutes in the water.
- Very effective, has a wide repelling effect on mosquitoes, gnats, noseeums, deer ticks, black flies, sand flies, biting midgets, and other insects.
- Non-comedogenic, non-acnegenic, dermatologist-tested and hypoallergenic. Contains IR3535 which is safe for kids and the whole family.
- Paraben-free, DEET-free, has vitamin E and Aloe Vera, not to mention, it has SPF 30 protection.
- Non-greasy, non-staining, and strong repelling formula.
- A bit oily to apply and leaves a little sticky feeling.
- Weak sunscreen, needs constant reapplication.
- THERMACELL MR150
- Type: Device
- Usage: 225 sq. feet
- Duration: Up to 12 hours
- Ingredients: Allethrin
- Price: $$
- Type: Wipes
- Usage: Skin
- Duration: Up to 8 hours
- Ingredients: Picaridin
- Price: $
- THERMACELL PATIO SHIELD
- Type: Lantern
- Usage: 225 sq. feet
- Duration: Up to 12 hours
- Ingredients: Allethrin
- Price: $$
- CLIGANIC BANDS
- Type: Bracelet
- Usage: Skin
- Duration: Up to 250 hours
- Ingredients: Geraniol, Lemongrass, and Citronella Oils
- Price: $
- CUTTER CITRO GUARD TRIPLE WICK
- Type: Candle
- Usage: 9 sq. feet
- Duration: Up to 40 hours
- Ingredients: Citronella Oil
- Price: $
6. Thermacell MR150 – Best Outdoor Mosquito Repellent
The Thermacell outdoor mosquito repellent is a highly effective device that is portable for use wherever you go. It can provide protection for up 225 square feet or 15 feet in diameter zone. The lightweight and cordless device is attractive as it has virtually no scent and contains no DEET.
It contains the synthetic version of the extract from Chrysanthemum flowers known as Allethrin (similar to Pyrethrin). The device operates with a butane cartridge to heat up a small mat releasing Allethrin repellent. As the mat warms, the repellent is released into the air.
It comes with one cartridge and three mats. Each cartridge lasts for 12 hours and each mat lasts for 4 hours. Ideal for outdoor use while gardening, camping, or fishing. For best results use it in light or no wind days where you will be sitting such as in decks, patios, or backyards.
- A pocket size, lightweight mosquito repellent, weighs only 11.2 ounces.
- No open flames, DEET free, scent free device with no direct contact on skin or clothing. Allowing you to create a mosquito-free zone without using lotions or sprays on your skin.
- One device is enough to protect whichever number of people available in the protected zone (15 x 15 feet).
- Available in different colors to suit every taste, grey, black, olive green, woodlands camouflage, and real tree extra green.
- Having to replace the repellent mats or the cartridge is not very ideal. Also worth noting that the butane cartridge cannot be taken on a plane, so you may not be able to travel with this device.
- May not be effective in windy conditions. While keeping in mind that the mats burn faster in windy conditions which makes it last for less time.
7. Natrapel – Best Mosquito Repellent Wipes
Natrapel is an 8-hour insect repellent wipes that contain 20% Picaridin to wade off mosquitoes, ticks, and other insects. Picaridin repellents are the best-selling active ingredient in Europe and Australia. It’s famous for repelling mosquitoes, ticks, noseeums, horse flies, and black flies.
The wipes are individually wrapped allowing you to pick one as you go without touching the rest. Each pack contains 12 such wipes and can be conveniently carried in pockets or purses. Perfect for traveling and backpacking.
The wipes are completely safe for use on your skin or gear and will not ruin your gear, jackets, fishing lines, or any other synthetic materials. They are easy to apply as all one needs to unwrap a single wipe and use on the areas they need. You can use the wipe on hard to reach areas or the entire body.
- Natrapel’s 20% Picaridin concentration formula is proven to guard against disease-transmitting insects including Zika, West Nile, Eastern Equine Encephalitis, Lyme, Dengue Fever and other infectious diseases. Recommended by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC).
- Unlike DEET, repellents containing Picaridin proves to be more effective on mosquitoes, ticks, and biting insects.
- Easier to use than sprays and lotions, provide protection for up to 8 hours.
- A floral scent much better than other repellents.
- Excess amounts of application are necessary. However, the wipes are not very wet. One wipe is not enough to cover what you need. Good to use on face or other limited areas.
- Leaves a bit of oily residue which might leave stains on fabrics.
8. Thermacell Patio Shield – Best Mosquito Repellent for Yard
Thermacell shield lanterns provide free pest protection with virtually no odor. Ideal for use while you are hanging around the backyard, organizing the garden, or while sitting in the patio. Safe and effective without the hassle of scented lotions, sprays, or fuming candles.
Lightweight and portable, they come in different decorative designs to blend in with your patio or deck. Allowing you to put it on the ground or on a table while you hang around it with your family and friends.
The lantern operates on a single fuel cartridge, which then heats a repellent pad releasing Allethrin repellent. Creating a 225 square feet protection zone from mosquitoes and other insects.
Not only does it repel mosquitoes with it’s DEET free repellent, but it also creates an ambient light that is perfect for your backyard or campsite.
- Ambient LED light lantern that also repels mosquitoes with multiple light modes, including steady and flickering light.
- You can use the lantern and the repellent together or independently.
- Silent, fume free, odor free, and DEET free cordless protection for 15 x 15 feet area.
- Each cartridge gives you 12 hours of continuous protection while changing each repelling pad every 4 hours.
- Requires you to purchase extra butane cartridges, repelling pads, and AAA batteries for the light, once you finish the batch that comes with the product.
- It runs through the repelling pads pretty quickly, specially in humid and windy conditions.
9. Cliganic Bands – Best Mosquito Repellent Bracelet
Tastefully designed repellent bands that come in various colors to stylishly wade off mosquitoes. It is DEET-free, using botanical aromas to keep off mosquitoes and other insects around you. Made from safe and natural essential plant oils including Geraniol, Lemongrass, and Citronella oils.
Each bracelet will stay effective for up to 250 hours from the moment you open the bag. The pack has 10 bracelets and each bracelet is individually wrapped in a resealable bag to help keep it fresh and preserve its lifespan after each use.
They come in packs which are perfect if you are traveling to a mosquito-infested area for some time. You can use this both indoors and outdoors with no worries about smells or inhaling fumes. They are also a custom fit, suitable for anyone, from children to adults.
- 100% natural ingredients and non-toxic, thus, safe to use by children and pregnant women.
- The water-proof bracelets, water does not affect its potency.
- It also provides enough protection around you for up to 10 days.
- One size fits all, fully adjustable, and stretchy bracelets, you can wear it on your arms and ankles. Also, the package comes with several bracelet colors. So you can go with whichever color to suit your mood.
- Will reduce the number of bites, however, it will not guarantee 100% protection.
- You may need to use more than one bracelet to get more coverage.
10. Cutter Citro Guard Triple Wick – Best Mosquito Repellent Candle
Made with real citronella oil to help you repel mosquitoes and other flying insects in your backyard, patio, porch, deck or campsite. It has triple wicks diffusing the citronella oil more efficiently while also increasing the amount of light.
Made from a combination of real citronella oil and candle wax. Citronella has a lemony or citrus-like fragrance, extracted from grasses. This scents confuses mosquitoes and helps in wading them off using a more natural way. Once enough scent is released mosquitoes would prefer to avoid the area.
Each candle covers up to 3 feet radius of protection zone. For maximum protection, use several candles to create a perimeter barrier. And avoid using them in enclosed areas or in windy conditions. The three wicks make it burn hotter, emitting more citronella oil, making it more efficient.
- This candle has a burning time of up to 40 hours.
- It has a gentle glow and scent which is effective in reducing mosquitoes, gnats, and other flying insects around you.
- The candle case is specially designed to prevent it from tipping over. It also has a vented design that creates beautiful light effects.
- A wide stable base that has a plastic ring to help reduce the risk of rust stains.
- The wicks are too thin which makes them easy blown out by the wind. While also the base gets so hot, so it’s better to put it on a stone or a glass base.
- Not ideal for heavy infested areas or in windy conditions.
Best Mosquito Repellent Comparison
|Sawyer Premium Permethrin||Spray|
|Sawyer Premium 20% Picaridin||Lotion|
|Repel Lemon Eucalyptus||Spray|
|Repel 100 Insect Repellent||Spray|
|Avon Skin So Soft Bug Guard||Lotion|
|Thermcell Patio Shield ||Lantern|
|Cutter Citro Guard Triple Wick||Candle|
What is the Best Mosquito Repellent?
You will note that most repellents make use of natural and chemical substances that change the scent. The most common synthetic ingredients are DEET, IR-3535, and Picaridin. Vitamin B1 is also unattractive to the bugs and flies as it changes one’s scent. Some of these natural ingredients include; Eucalyptus, Citronella, Cinnamon oil, Greek catnip oil, Lavender, and Thyme oil among others. The best mosquito repellent will give protection for extended periods of time with just one application. Below we discuss some of the most common ingredients known for repelling mosquitoes, ticks, and other insects.
The world’s most widely used insect repellent. Proves to be one of the most effective repellents. However, they should be used with caution as they can damage plastics and synthetic components if they come into contact. It is highly effective for areas with disease-carrying insects. And it’s actually safer than many people assume. Using DEET as instructed does not present a health concern to people, including children. DEET concentrations range from 10 percent to 100 percent. The difference of concentration levels declares how long will the protection last. While 10% DEET lasts for about 2 hours, 100% DEET lasts for about 10 hours or more.
Excellent protection is achieved at 20 to 30 percent concentration. While also providing minimal exposure for people and children who don’t favor DEET. In addition, it gives minimal effect on plastics and synthetic materials.
A newer repellent ingredient compared to DEET. It is highly effective in repelling insects. Its efficacy is comparable to DEET. It is derived from the black pepper plant and is safe even for infants. Picaridin contains less odor and has no damaging effect on plastics and other synthetic materials.
Excellent protection is achieved at 20 percent concentration. Capable of providing enough protection from 8 to 12 hours.
This ingredient has been in the market for over 30 years. IR3535 is a synthetic based molecule inspired by a naturally occurring amino acid, it carries an eco-toxicological profile. Meaning it doesn’t build up in the environment and impose no toxic effect on aquatic organisms such as fish or algae. They usually carry no odor, highly tolerable, even for small children. As a result, it’s a great way to protect yourself and the environment at the same time.
Excellent protection is achieved at 10 to 20 percent concentration. Capable of providing enough protection that can last up to 8 hours.
Lemon Eucalyptus Oil
One of the most effective natural mosquito repellent. It is the only natural repellent that is registered with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) for safety and effectiveness against insects. Extracted from the gum eucalyptus tree, the oil of eucalyptus (different from lemon eucalyptus) is also effective when it comes in a product containing not less than 30% of the oil. It can be used by children over the age of 3 and has a pleasant smell. However, they carry a heavy lemon or citrus smell which can be intolerable to some people.
Excellent protection is achieved at 25 to 40 percent concentration. Capable of providing enough protection that can last 2 hours and up to 6 hours.
Natural Mosquito Repellents
Other products include plant-based oils such as; citronella, clove, soybean, cedar, thyme, geranium, rosemary, peppermint, patchouli, lemongrass, neem, and garlic. These do not work better than the synthetic-based products and they require far more frequent application. They are not regulated for safety or effectiveness by the EPA. However, are good alternatives if you want something natural.
How to Repel Mosquitoes?
If you are working, camping, or live in a mosquito-infested area, You will find mosquito repellents very helpful. These products are formulated for use on bare skin, on clothes, or other surfaces where mosquitoes may land. Usually, the most common forms for repellents are sprays, creams, patches, sticks, and liquids. Since people are usually prone to mosquitoes due to their scent, heat, light, and humidity. As a result, mosquito repellents work by changing some of these factors.
Types of Repellents Available in the Market
- Mosquito repellents for skin: These are your most effective options. However, they should be applied carefully. They include sprays, creams, lotions, and wipes.
- Mosquito repellents for clothing: These also provide a good range of protection. However, they offer limited coverage, as exposed skin still stays unprotected. These include sprays and aerosols.
- Mosquito repellents that are airborne: These keeps mosquitoes at a distance, no application is required. However, they offer the least amount of protection as they don’t operate well in windy or rainy weather conditions. These include patches, wristbands, clip-on fans, candles, incense sticks, coils, lanterns, portable devices, and plants.
Below we discuss some of the most common mosquito repelling methods.
Mosquito Repellent Sprays & Aerosols
Sprays and aerosols, as the name suggests, sprayed on the skin or the home interior or even on your travel gear to keep off mosquitoes. They provide an even application over skin and body. Safe and effective when used the right way. The active ingredient used in the product, as well as, its concentration is vital information that you should not overlook. Generally, with the right concentration sprays and aerosols provide good protection for long hours both on the skin and gear. You must wash them off with soap and water when protection is no longer needed.
Spray repellents for skin with DEET, Picaridin, IR3535, and oil of Lemon Eucalyptus are great performers. They are also safe for use even for children, pregnant, and lactating mothers. Though they can irritate the eyes and skin sometimes. For this reason, be careful when using them to avoid irritation.
Spray repellents for clothing and gear usually contain Permethrin. It is highly effective and does not cause any harm to your clothing, gear, or any synthetic materials. The best thing about them is that their effect stays on treated clothes even after numerous washings. They last for a long time and do not get affected by water or sun exposure. So you can spray your clothing and the protection will stay for up to 10 washings.
Mosquito Repellent Lotions, Creams, Wipes
Mosquito creams, lotions, and wipes are topically applied to the skin and give sufficient protection for several hours. They also contain such ingredients that are in sprays and other repellents. But in the right quantities to avoid irritating the skin. You should wash your skin with enough soap and water to remove the repellent from the body when you no longer need protection. You can reapply as needed.
Mosquito lotions and creams offer great protection especially that they take longer to evaporate when applied to the skin. These can be used for children when formulated with less percentage. You can use them on all exposed skin with care given to avoid eyes, mouth, and cut or wounded areas.
Wipes are thick tissues that contain ingredients known to repel mosquitoes. You simply wipe the exposed areas of the skin. They are usually great for hard to reach areas such as behind the ears. However, their protection may be limited when compared to sprays. The coverage length varies between products for a few hours. And you can reapply when you see mosquitoes lingering again.
Mosquito Repellent Bracelets & Patches
Mosquito bracelets are worn like accessories on hands or ankles. Their ingredients include citronella, lavender, eucalyptus among others. They are non-toxic, effective, and safe enough for babies. Usually, they are infused with natural products such as peppermint oil, citronella, cedar, and geranium to protect one from mosquitoes. They come in colorful packs for more convenience. Their protection can last for a few days, but only if you are trying to avoid a couple of mosquitoes here and there. Their effectiveness is very weak when compared to sprays and lotions.
Patches are adhesives that are placed on any part of the body to provide protection against mosquitoes. They can also be used on exposed skin or on clothes. Worn on the body like a decal. Patches offer protection for many parts up to 48 hours. The stickers can turn your scent into an unappealing scent to mosquitoes. As a result, mask off your scent to make you undetectable to the insects. Mostly, they are marketed as natural or DEET-free although must be reapplied often to keep mosquitoes away.
Mosquito Repellent Devices & Lanterns
These portable mosquito repeller devices work by releasing a mist into the air that repels mosquitoes, ticks, and other biting flies. They contain Allethrin which is a synthetic copy of the botanical repellent extract from chrysanthemum flowers. They work by using a small amount of butane fuel cartridge or a rechargeable lithium battery to heat Allethrin soaked mats. Creating a protection zone against insects for as long as the device is running.
There are also ultra-sonic devices to repel mosquitoes, flies, bugs, and other insects. These portable mosquito repellent devices work by emitting sounds that scare or annoy mosquitoes.
Mosquito Repellent Candles, Sticks, Coils, Plants
These are ready-to-use candles made using products that repel mosquitoes by smell. Repelling candles have been used since 1882 as a repellent to draw mosquitoes away from people. The candles contain ingredients such as; citronella, lavender, eucalyptus, and rosemary to discourage the insects. Citronella candles are usually used on patios or in the backyard are not as effective as skin applications. Tests show that they reduce mosquitoes by a maximum 50 percent.
You can also opt to go for one of these repelling plants to keep it always at home. You can use them both indoors and outdoors for many months. Some up to a year. They are effective against mosquitoes but are not very strong against a large infestation.
Repellents Best Practices
Below are 8 tips on how to use mosquito and insect repellents as declared by the EPA:
- Do not apply repellents under clothing. Only apply to exposed skin or clothing.
- More does not mean more protection. Use only enough amount to cover skin as labeled and only for as long as needed.
- Do not apply repellents over wounds, cuts, irritated skin, or immediately after shaving.
- Do not spray directly on face. First, spray or squeeze the required amount on your hands. Then rub it on your face and ears, avoiding your eyes and mouth.
- Do not let children apply on their own. Instead, spray or squeeze the required amount on your own hands, then rub it on. Limit the use of repellents on infants and children’s hands, as they often put their hands in their mouths and eyes.
- Do not use near food or drinks, and always wash hands after application and before handling food.
- When repellents are no longer required, wash treated skin with water and soap, and wash treated clothes separately before wearing again.
- Lastly, always remember to dispose expired or unused products as labeled.
Shielding yourself from mosquito bites and disease is paramount especially if you live in a mosquito-prone area. Repellents will not kill mosquitoes but will prevent them from coming near you or biting you. However, you should be careful when using repellents as they can cause irritations when used in high concentration. Also, be careful not to get the products in your eyes, mouth, or on wounded skin. Note that even with the best mosquito repellent, you have to use it sparingly and cover all exposed skin to increase efficacy. For the best outdoor mosquito repellent, you must use it often and reapply when needed to get sufficient protection at all times.